In the 21st Century Network, DoIT has deployed Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) to support network electronics for the super node and node concentration equipment, also known as the “backbone”. The network was designed without UPS backup for building electronics since most networked equipment would be inoperable during a building wide power outage.
Some departments would like to install UPS equipment in their building IDFs or MDFs (wiring closets). DoIT has made the following recommendations for Departmental deployments, to ensure standards and compatibility across the network.
- The Department is responsible for the cost, procurement, warranty issues, and battery replacement related to the UPS equipment.
- DoIT will be responsible for support and routine maintenance.
- The Department must use DoIT Network Services recommended UPS equipment to support the building specific network electronics. If UPS equipment is to be installed in the IDF or MDF, it must be provided for ALL of the networking equipment in that location.
- DoIT will provide for the sizing of UPS equipment, based on the power draw for the network electronics and desired uptime. The UPS equipment is intended for 21st Century Network electronics only.
- DoIT engineers and Field Services Staff will take responsibility for the installation of UPS equipment, ensuring the DoIT NOC is aware of the planned install.
- The Department must notify the DoIT NOC of any activity that may interrupt power to the network equipment.
- DoIT will be responsible for the monitoring of the UPS status.
Any questions related to the use of UPS equipment for support of 21st Century Network electronics should be forwarded to the DoIT Help Desk at 264-HELP (4357) or email@example.com.
Version 2.2, 8/14/2008