Security Tools & Software
To help departments and individuals reduce the risk of an information security breach, the Office of Cybersecurity offers a variety of tools and services to campus:
- Restricted Data Discovery Tool (Identity Finder)
- Server Certificates
- Personal Digital Certificates
- Security Consultations
- Scanning Tools
Restricted Data Philosophy
- Find it! Many people are surprised by what kinds of restricted data they had forgotten is stored on their computer: old credit card transactions, social security numbers on employment forms, research data, and more. Office of Cybersecurity has tools to scan your machines to find out where this data may reside.
- Delete it! If you don’t really need it, we recommend you delete restricted data, thereby reducing the likelihood that theft, human error or other kinds of malfeasance give hackers access to it. Office of Cybersecurity has data sanitization tools to help you do just that.
- Protect it! If you absolutely must keep restricted data on your machines, the Office of Cybersecurity has a wide range of mitigation controls (i.e., tools and services such as disk encryption, vulnerability scanning, certificates, VPN) to help you protect it.
Digital Signatures and Encryption
Digital signatures can help verify that email and documents sent and received are from the real authors. With UW-Madison-licensed software, you can easily install a digital certificate so you can use a digital signature. (A digital certificate also enables you to encrypt email and keep your correspondence completely private.)