5 minutes to read | Last updated December 1, 2020
In order to assure that mobile applications are accessible and usable, developers use mobile accessibility standards. Use this guide to learn about common mobile application barriers and ways to address them.
Features of Accessible Mobile Apps
People access websites and applications on a range of devices. Features of accessible mobile applications include:
- Bright and readable text with adequate color contrast for Android and for iOS.
- Large and simple controls with generous sizing and spacing.
- Speech-to-text interaction enabled for all text fields, as well as text-to-speech for screen readers.
- Audio and video content that includes captions or transcripts.
- Alerts and notifications that can be accessed in multiple ways (sound, visual, haptic).
- Simple touch screen gestures with workarounds for users not using a touch screen.
Find additional information about mobile app accessibility standards through W3C.
iOS and Android App Development Resources
Use these resources for developing iOS mobile apps compatible with built-in accessibility features or find more information at iOS accessibility for Apple developers.
Use these resources for developing Android mobile apps compatible with built-in accessibility features or find more information at Android accessibility for developers.
Accessibility Features on Apple and Android Devices
You can test your mobile application for accessibility by using built-in accessibility features in Android and iOS.
Accessibility Features on Apple Devices
- Vision Accessibility, including VoiceOver, the built-in screen reader for Apple devices.
- Hearing Accessibility, including visual alerts.
- Mobility Accessibility, including AssistiveTouch allows users with assistive devices to perform gestures through the use of a button.
Accessibility Features on Android Devices
- Vision Support features, including TalkBack, the built-in Google screen reader for Android devices.
- Audio Support features, including Live Transcribe and Live Caption.
- Mobility Support features. including Switch Access which allows users to navigate via switch device or keyboard