Your UW Google Drive storage just got a whole lot bigger! UW-Madison Google Apps received an upgrade that provides unlimited Google Drive storage. Although you will continue to see your Drive usage in the lower left corner of your screen when using Drive, there is no limit to your storage.
Please note that this upgrade applies to your UW-Madison Google Apps account only, it does not apply to your personal Google account. This upgrade is one of the advantages of using your UW-Madison Google Apps account vs. your personal Google account.
Wondering what the difference is in using the two types of accounts? The most important difference is the protection of your privacy and intellectual property.
A Personal Google Account
- Provides access to products administered by Google.
- Content that is hosted in a personal account is subject to Google’s Terms of Service: “By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services.” See http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/terms/
A UW-Madison Google Apps Account
- Provides access to Drive (includes Documents, Spreadsheets, Presentations, and Forms), Sites, Hangouts, Groups, Contacts and Google+ and is administered by the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Some of the benefits of having Google Apps administered by UW-Madison are:
- It’s easier to find UW-Madison users through the populated Google Contact list which makes document sharing simple.
- DoIT Help Desk is available to answer your questions and assist you with technical issues.
- You can authenticate using your UW-Madison NetID and your credentials are not stored by Google.
- A UW-Madison Google account also provides additional license protection, ensuring an environment where you can collaborate and share while retaining rights to your intellectual property.
You can check out your unlimited Drive storage when you sign into your UW-Madison Google Apps account. If you are unable to access your account please contact the DoIT Help Desk at 608-264-HELP.