Learn how to make your web content and online resources more accessible via a live stream of the Accessing Higher Ground conference–a national accessible media, web, and technology conference for higher education.
The Center for Digital Accessibility & User Experience is teaming up with the McBurney Disability Resource Center to host a free, live stream access point for the conference at the McBurney Disability Resource Center.
No prior accessibility knowledge is required; all are welcome and encouraged to attend. Light snacks will be provided.
Dates: Monday, Nov. 12 – Friday, Nov. 16; see session details below. Please drop in for any and all of the sessions that pique your interest.
Location: McBurney Disability Resource Center (702 W Johnson St), Graaskamp Conference Room 2096, 2nd floor (map).
Accessibility information: All sessions will include real-time captioning. If you need an accommodation to attend this event, please contact Phyllis Treige as soon as possible.
Accessing Higher Ground Conference – Live Stream Sessions at UW-Madison
Please note, all times have been converted from MST to CST.
Monday, Nov. 12
- Lab: Accessible Adobe InDesign Layouts to Produce Accessible PDFs and EPUBs
11:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. (lunch break: 2:00 – 3:30 p.m.)
Tuesday, Nov. 13
- Lab: Understanding and Evaluating WCAG 2 Color and Contrast
10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Captioned Media: Developing a Systematic Approach that Meets the Needs of Your Institution
2:30 – 5:30 p.m. (Note: This session will be in room 2109. Please check in at the McBurney Center front desk, room 2104.)
Wednesday, Nov. 14
- Not So Fast: Implementing Accessibility Reviews in a University’s IT Software Review Process
9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m
- Understanding Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.1)
10:15 a.m. – 11:15 a.m
- State of Accessible Rich Internet Applications (ARIA) 2018
12:15 – 1:15 p.m.
- Lab: Evaluating and Repairing Word and PowerPoint Files (double-session)
3:15 – 5:30 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 15
- Powerful Presentation Skills for the Accessibility Professional
9:00 – 10:00 a.m.
- IT Colleagues: from Accessibility Newbies into Accessibility Auditors
10:15 – 11:15 a.m.
- Social media and accessibility
3:15 – 4:15 p.m.
- I Was Wrong! Build Your Successful Accessibility Program by Learning from My Mistakes
5:00 – 6:00 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 16
- Trending Tech Tools: What’s New, What’s Improved & What’s on the Horizon for Assistive Technology & Accessibility Tools
10:15 – 11:15 a.m.
- The Big Ten Academic Alliance’s Shared Approach to Procurement and Vendor Relations
11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Pretty Accessible: Bringing Beauty, Simplicity, and Usability to Accessible Products
12:45 – 1:45 p.m.