Last updated on March 15, 2023
The Learner Engagement Analytics Dashboard (LEAD) is a course-level learning analytics dashboard that displays Canvas, Kaltura MediaSpace and Unizin Engage e-text data to instructors enrolled in Canvas. Initially only Principal Instructors had access, but as of fall 2021 auxiliary and supervisory instructors are also able to access LEAD. LEAD presents visualizations using Tableau, UW–Madison’s institutional data visualization tool. As the LEAD tool continues to evolve, we anticipate future improvements including the addition of more data from the Learn@UW suite of tools and additional visualizations.
LEAD is part of UW–Madison’s broader learning analytics efforts. More information about learning analytics at UW–Madison is available from the Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning and DoIT Academic Technology. As part of the Learn@UW suite of learning technologies, more information, updates and events are available on the DoIT Academic Technology website.
Instructors can access LEAD at go.wisc.edu/lead. Access to the dashboard as well as additional information about LEAD can be found in this knowledge base document. For easiest access to prior semesters of LEAD (each semester has a separate link) as well as other learning analytics resources, add the Learning Analytics for Instructors Widget to your MyUW page.
LEAD is available at no cost.
- Three visualizations of student activity data: Page Views by Date and Hour, Grades by Page Views, and Page Views by Activity Type.
- Ability to filter the data in each visualization using five different filters (Date, Course Name, Activity Type, Activity Type Name, Student Name)
- Includes data from Canvas (learning management system), Kaltura MediaSpace (media hosting system) and Unizin Engage (eText hosting service)
- FERPA compliant with protections in place around the student data
- Currently available for instructors teaching for-credit courses who are enrolled in Canvas as the Principal Instructor, Auxiliary Instructor or Supervisory Instructor
The DoIT Help Desk provides instructors, staff and students with free tech support and troubleshooting help by phone at (608) 264-4357, email and chat. In-person support is also available at the DoIT Help Desk service desk in the Computer Sciences building. Visit helpdesk.wisc.edu for hours and more information.