A campus unit has been asked to develop a data policy of some kind. The Policy on Data Stewardship, Access, and Retention has been referenced in those discussions. It was last amended in May 2013. Because of the time since last amendment (and possibly review), and the rapid pace of change in the research data landscape, it seems like an appropriate time for RTAG to initiate a review of this policy and then make recommendations to the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education (VCRGE).
This working group is charged with the following:
- provide a recommendation about how to improve definitions, roles, and responsibilities within the policy document,
- provide a recommendation around the scope of “data” (is it safe to assume both physical artifacts and electronic data are in scope?),
- provide a recommendation as to who is financially responsible for ensuring actions needed to satisfy the policy can be carried out,
- provide a recommendation on a more specific timeline (what are federal agencies requiring? Is seven years, as currently written, an adequate timeframe?)
- provide a recommendation around whose responsibility it is to satisfy the policy – is data being stored by PIs, or are PIs selecting a custodian (possibly the university) to store their data?
This working group should feel free to expand the scope and raise other topics that come from discussion; the charge above is only to generate discussion.
Members and Structure
Nicholas Tincher Chief Information Officer, OVCRGE
Nadine Connor Associate Vice Chancellor for Research Policy & Compliance, OVCRGE
Lee Konrad Associate Director of Libraries for Technology and Data Strategy
Jason Fishbain Chief Data Officer
Jennifer Rodis Policy Analyst, RSP
Ben Griffiths Senior Legal Council, Legal Services
Jan Cheetham Research Cyberinfrastructure Liaison, CIO Office
This working group will report to the RTAG Executive Committee.
Activities ending and report provided to RTAG Executive Committee by November 1, 2017.
Policy on Data Stewardship, Access, and Retention
Policy on Tangible Research Property
Research Technology Advisory Group (charter, members, agendas, minutes)