The PAT is being created to provide campus-wide representation and assistance in supporting the activities and processes that govern the creation, review and approval of IT-related policies. This group is part of the IT Governance structure and is accountable to the campus IT Committee (ITC). It will help IT governance ensure the IT policies are necessary and appropriate, that the development process is collaborative and transparent, and that the supporting procedural and technical implementation enables efficient and effective compliance.
The major roles of PAT are as follows.
- Evaluate proposed policies and work with sponsors during the entire review and approval process as well as with other university governance and decision-making bodies.
- Identify needed policies, existing policies that need revision, or policies that are no longer needed, and maintain a repository of IT policies.
- Analyze and comment upon policies or policy-related documents before they are submitted to IT governance for consideration.
- Maintain and improve the IT Policy Principles and Procedures.
- Identify other UW-Madison policies with significant IT components and/or implications and work with their sponsors to ensure that these policies are consistent with IT policies and support the effective implementation of the campus missions.
- Advise on IT policy engagement with the UW-Madison community and guide such communications.
The group is already working on several proposed policies. IT policies are found on the it.wisc.edu web.