Whether you’re about to graduate, retire, or take another job off campus, take these few steps to make your transition as smooth as possible.
What happens to your NetID and access to UW applications when you are no longer faculty, staff or student?
Your NetID will remain active, but you may lose access to the applications that are only available to those actively enrolled or employed at UW–Madison. Take the time now to make sure that you’ve backed up any important information before the deactivation process begins.
Email service options—
- Alumni, emeriti: You can keep your wisc.edu email but you will only have access to Office 365 email, calendar, people/contacts and tasks. Learn more.
- Employees: Before departing, move emails/folders to co-workers where appropriate or to a service account.
- Set an auto-reply with information on who to contact after you leave UW–Madison.
Save your OneDrive files:
- All files stored in OneDrive will be lost after you leave and will not be recoverable.
- See what data you currently have stored in OneDrive and save your OneDrive files.
- Employees: Before departing, transfer files to co-workers where appropriate.
Transfer Qualtrics surveys:
- Departing staff and students who own Qualtrics surveys should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to transfer their ownership to another Qualtrics user.
- Getting help with Qualtrics
Transfer files from your UW–Madison G Suite and Box accounts:
- Transfer personal files stored in your UW–Madison Box or UW–Madison G Suite account to your computer or personal account.
- Employees: Before departing, change ownership of departmental documents to co-workers or Team Drives for Google docs and move or copy content from your individual Box account to a Project Directory for Box.
What do I do with Restricted, Sensitive or Internal Information?
- If you interacted with Restricted, Sensitive, or Internal information during your time on campus, work with a supervisor or advisor to make sure the information is transferred and stored in an appropriate way prior to your departure.
- If you are a part of the UW–Madison Health Care Component, contact your HIPAA Privacy or Security Coordinator with questions about the applications best suited for creating, storing, and sharing PHI.
What if I’m retiring?
Emeritus faculty and staff, and retired staff whose department maintains a special authorization record, are handled differently from faculty, staff and students who are leaving the University. Contact your Human Resources department for details about your specific situation.
Obtain a transcript
Potential employers or graduate school admissions may request a copy of your transcript. Order a copy early, and dazzle them with your preparedness.