University of Wisconsin–Madison

Steps to take before leaving UW–Madison

Whether you’re about to graduate, retire, or take another job off campus, take these few steps to make your transition as smooth as possible.

What happens to your NetID and access to UW applications when you are no longer faculty, staff or student?

Your NetID will remain active, but you may lose access to the applications that are only available to those actively enrolled or employed at UW–Madison. Take the time now to make sure that you’ve backed up any important information before the deactivation process begins.

Email service options—

  • Alumni, emeriti: You can keep your email but you will only have access to Office 365 email, calendar, people/contacts and tasks. Learn more.
    • Alumni can continue to collaborate with campus; however, alumni email addresses will no longer be listed in the campus address book. Learn more.
    • Alumni can sign up for a free account through the UW Alumni Association.
  • Employees: Before departing, move emails/folders to co-workers where appropriate or to a service account.
    • Set an auto-reply with information on who to contact after you leave UW–Madison.

Save your OneDrive files:

Transfer Qualtrics surveys:

Transfer files from your UW–Madison G Suite and Box accounts:

What do I do with Restricted, Sensitive or Internal Information?

What if I’m retiring?

Emeritus faculty and staff, and retired staff whose department maintains a special authorization record, are handled differently from faculty, staff and students who are leaving the University. Contact your Human Resources department for details about your specific situation.

Obtain a transcript

Potential employers or graduate school admissions may request a copy of your transcript. Order a copy early, and dazzle them with your preparedness.


Learn more about what you need to do before you leave or contact the DoIT Help Desk for assistance.