Last updated: 4/17/2020
UW WebEx Meeting Site
Access your Webex Meeting in Outlook calendar or on the web via the link below.
Cisco provides an extensive selection of online classes teaching you what you need to know about WebEx Teams.
Additional Training Resources
Solutions to common issues
Select your issue below or search the WebEx KnowledgeBase for comprehensive guidance.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
What is Webex?
Webex is a set of tools designed for personal and corporate collaboration. It’s used to connect to others, typically through the internet, and allows you to communicate with audio, video, text chat, file sharing, whiteboard, and other features.
- You can use Webex from any computer with an internet connection, and from most smartphones and tablets.
- You can schedule a WebEx meeting ahead of time, or start one spontaneously-personal room- as needed.
- If you use Webex to invite someone to a meeting, they will receive an email that allows them to attend. Attendees don’t have to have a Webex account. Your invitation includes a link they can click to join you online.
- During your meeting, you can video conference, type chat messages, share content, and more.
- A typical collaborative meeting is under 25 participants but our institution allows up to 1000 participants in a meeting.
Find more information on Webex at Cisco Conferencing
Can I record a Webex meeting?
Yes, the recording feature has been enabled with a disclaimer that must be accepted by meeting hosts before starting the meeting, even if they don’t plan to record the meeting.
Please note: “All laws and regulations regarding privacy, security, and confidentiality of individually-identifiable information about students, patients, and research subjects apply to information shared and/or recorded in Webex sessions.” Please read and follow the Provisional UW–Madison Online Collaboration Session Recording Policy (eff. March 16, 2020).
What web conferencing tools are approved for use with Protected Health Information in accordance with HIPAA?
If you belong to the UW–Madison Health Care Component, contact your HIPAA Privacy or Security Coordinator with questions about the tools approved for creating, storing, and sharing Protected Health Information. A list of currently-approved tools for use with PHI is available at www.compliance.wisc.edu/hipaa.
Can Webex recordings be transcribed?
Yes, by default all recordings are transcribed and can be turned off. KnowledgeBase article, “Webex Meetings: Webex Recording Transcripts” (https://kb.wisc.edu/webex/98989) will explain how to turn this feature off.
Do students have access to Webex?
What's the difference between a personal room and a scheduled room meeting?
What is an alternative host and do I need one?
If you are not able to attend one of your Webex meetings, you can designate an alternate host to take over the host role for you.