Videos are less than 2 minutes in length | Last updated Feb 14 2019
This page features training videos for Webex Meetings, Cisco’s video-conferencing tool.
Webex Meetings features & capabilities include:
- Video conferencing with screen sharing
- Remote attendees can listen, speak and share the presenter role
- Up to 1000 participants can be in a meeting
Additional Training Resources
Solutions to common issues
Select your issue below or search the WebEx KnowledgeBase for comprehensive guidance.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Webex?
Webex is a set of tools designed for personal and corporate collaboration. It’s used to connect to others, typically through the internet, and allows you to communicate with audio, video, text chat, file sharing, whiteboard, and other features.
Webex uses:To hold and attend online meetings, collaborate on team projects, and share documents.To watch and attend presentations, communicate with the presenter, and collaborate with remote participants.How does it work?Webex software is delivered over the web as you need it. The first time you attend a meeting, Webex will automatically install on your computer and takes only a few moments. Your local IT or Central IT staff have also been pushing out the needed software to your work machines.
- You can use Webex from any computer with an internet connection, and from most smartphones and tablets.
- You can schedule a WebEx meeting ahead of time, or start one spontaneously-personal room- as needed.
- If you use Webex to invite someone to a meeting, they will receive an email that allows them to attend. Attendees don’t have to have a Webex account. Your invitation includes a link they can click to join you online.
- During your meeting, you can video conference, type chat messages, share content, and more.
- A typical collaborative meeting is under 25 participants but our institution allows up to 1000 participants in a meeting.
Find more information on Webex at Cisco Conferencing
What's the difference between a personal room and a scheduled room meeting?
Your Webex Personal Room is your own virtual conference space that you can use for meetings anytime. Your personal room number can be found by going to Meeting in the menu bar then Information once you launch the personal room. This number never changes.A scheduled Meeting Room always has a unique URL and you can join a meeting in many different ways.
What is an alternative host and do I need one?
If you are not able to attend one of your Webex meetings, you can designate an alternate host to take over the host role for you.An alternate host must be someone with a Webex Meetings host account at UW Madison. You can designate one or multiple alternate hosts for a single meeting or for a series of reoccurring meetings. Learn how to add alternate host(s) for your personal room meetings.
How do I set up the audio for a meeting?
If you or your participants are having audio issues while in the meeting here are some general principles to help eliminate audio issues.1. Before joining a meeting, plug in any external devices (headset, headset with mic, or external speaker).2. Webex uses your operating system default sound- speaker and mic.3. You can change the audio source from within Webex Meetings once you are in the meeting. Find steps to set up your audio at Webex Meeting: Trouble with Audio.
Can I record a meeting?
The recording feature is not available at this time. UW–Madison currently has recording turned OFF until this feature is vetted through the governance process.