Last updated on June 24, 2022
DoIT is offering on-premise object storage utilizing the S3 protocol. S3 is an industry standard object storage service that offers industry-leading scalability, data availability, security, and performance. It uses a web based API to store and retrieve objects.
Our equipment is spread across three campus data centers, making it highly redundant and highly fault tolerant. We could lose one full site and there would be little to no impact on the service.
Object storage is a great option for backups and reducing costs for archives. In addition, many applications that have been designed for the cloud natively work with the S3 protocol, such as IoT (Internet of Things).
- Great for backups and archives.
- Cheaper than most cloud-based S3 options. No I/O charges!
- Local support staff to help with setup and problems.
- Highly redundant and highly available.
- Many applications that have been designed for the cloud natively work with the S3 protocol.
- A valid DoIT Number
- Must be a UW-Madison department and/or employee
- Application or software that works with S3 protocol
Contact us to get started! We will consult with you on all your file storage needs.
|S3 Object Storage||$0.15 per GB per year|
Note: Billing is based on the price/GB/year. We will bill your DoIT Number monthly based on your usage.