Everyone with an active NetID has a FREE UW–Madison G Suite account. But some individuals may have trouble identifying it from their personal Google account. The problem usually surfaces when you’re trying to access a UW–Madison Google Apps doc with your “personal” Google account.
No worries, here are three quick tips to help you identify which Google account you’re accessing:
To sign in to your:
- UW–Madison G Suite account associated with your NetID, log in at https://apps.google.wisc.edu
- Personal Google account, log in at https://accounts.google.com
1. Look for visual clues.
You’ll see the UW–Madison logo on the upper left-hand side and your NetID in the upper right-hand side of your UW–Madison G Suite account. For all UW–Madison G Suite accounts, the primary/displayed address is always NetID@wisc.edu. Personal Google accounts frequently have multiple alternate addresses (e.g. email@example.com or even first.last firstname.lastname@example.org).
2. Assign different photos to your accounts.
You could use a fun photo for your personal account and a more professional-looking photo for your UW–Madison Google Apps account. If you are using UW–Madison Google Plus, try setting your cover photo and nickname to indicate to others that this is your UW–Madison account. https://plus.google.com/me
3. Use separate browsers or Chrome profiles.
If you find it cumbersome switching accounts (in the upper right-hand of the screen), try these alternatives:
- You could use Firefox for your UW–Madison Google Apps account and another browser (e.g. Chrome) for your personal Google account.
- Another option, is to use Chrome profiles; one for each account. https://kb.wisc.edu/googleapps/page.php?id=56537
For more information on UW–Madison G Suite accounts, please refer to the UW-Madison G Suite KB.