Last updated on September 14, 2022
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is supported by UW Cloud Services, a CIO-sponsored initiative to deliver public cloud computing services to UW-Madison faculty, staff and departments. These offerings focus on Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS) in the form of AWS, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
We recommend you contact your local IT staff for guidance on usage within your unit or department. If your unit or department does not currently use any of these services or is unsure how to proceed with your use case, please visit the Public Cloud KnowledgeBase or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are interested in understanding how the university wants to leverage these services and can help you determine what services best fit your needs.
AWS is a cloud computing platform that specializes in Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS). DoIT released an AWS pilot to campus in August 2016.
- The current offering includes entire suite of generally available AWS compute services, such as Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) and Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2)
- The current offering gives customers the ability to process, store or propagate public or internal data in AWS
- Must be a UW-Madison faculty or staff member. To set up an AWS account you will need a valid DoIT Number.
- Customers must not process, store or otherwise propagate sensitive or restricted data in AWS, without completing a risk assessment by Cybersecurity.
The current campus offering of AWS does not include:
- The ability for customers to provision resources in campus IP space
- The ability for customers to process, store or otherwise propagate sensitive or restricted data in AWS without an assessment by the Office of Cybersecurity
- AWS Mechanical Turk is not included (it is not considered a compute service)
- AWS offerings in Beta may not be available
The net cost to campus customers will be equal to Amazon’s published rates for AWS. Includes a 15% network egress waiver.