Last updated on September 14, 2022
Microsoft Azure is supported by UW Cloud Services, a CIO-sponsored initiative to deliver public cloud computing services to UW-Madison faculty, staff and departments. These offerings focus on Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS) in the form of Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
We recommend you contact your local IT staff for guidance on usage within your unit or department. If your unit or department does not currently use any of these services or is unsure how to proceed with your use case, please visit the Public Cloud KnowledgeBase or email us at email@example.com. We are interested in understanding how the university wants to leverage these services and can help you determine what services best fit your needs.
Microsoft Azure is a cloud computing platform that specializes in Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS). DoIT released an Azure pilot to campus in November 2016.
- The current offering includes the entire suite of Azure compute services, including Virtual Machines and Storage
- The current offering gives customers the ability to process, store or propagate public or internal data in Azure
- Must be a UW-Madison faculty or staff member. To set up an Azure subscription you will need a valid DoIT Number.
- Customers must not process, store or otherwise propagate sensitive or restricted data in Azure without a completed risk assessment by Cybersecurity.
Note: The School of Medicine and Public Health has developed an Azure-based platform called Platform X which has been approved for HIPAA and restricted data storage and analysis. Contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Request an Azure subscription.
The current campus pilot of Azure does not include:
- The ability for customers to provision resources in campus IP space
- The ability for customers to process, store or otherwise propagate sensitive or restricted data in Azure without an assessment by the Office of Cybersecurity
- Azure Preview Features (features not yet generally available)
The net cost to campus customers will be equivalent to Microsoft’s published rates for Azure — includes a 15% network egress waiver.
Get more details on Azure pricing.