Microsoft Azure is a cloud computing platform that specializes in Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS). DoIT released an Azure pilot to campus in November 2016.
- The current pilot includes the entire suite of Azure compute services, including Virtual Machines and Storage
- The current pilot offers customers the ability to process, store, or propagate public or internal data in Azure
- Must be a UW-Madison faculty or staff member. To set up an Azure subscription you will need a valid DoIT Number.
- During the pilot, customers must not process, store, or otherwise propagate sensitive or restricted data in Azure.
The current campus pilot of Azure does not include:
- The ability for customers to provision resources in campus IP space
- The ability for customers to process, store, or otherwise propagate sensitive or restricted data in Azure without an assessment by the Office of Cybersecurity
- Azure Preview Features (features not yet generally available)
The net cost to campus customers will be equivalent to Microsoft’s published rates for Azure — includes a 15% network egress waiver.
Get more details on Azure pricing.