Antivirus software is used to prevent, detect and remove malicious software. The Office of Cybersecurity’s recommendations for antivirus software are listed below.
- Helps detect and remove viruses from your computer
- Provides added safety when working remotely from your personal device
Please read all instructions prior to taking any actions:
Personally Owned Windows Devices
- Faculty, Staff, & Students: Cybersecurity recommends utilizing the built-in antivirus solution for Windows, Windows Defender, on personally owned devices. Learn how to enable your Windows Defender at Windows Defender – Enabling Antivirus Threat Protection & Windows Firewall (Source: KB 100278) and how to run an antivirus scan at Windows Defender – Running an Antivirus Scan (Source: KB 100338).
Personally Owned macOS Devices
While macOS does have built-in security features to protect against malicious/unwanted applications and files, it is beneficial to supplement this built-in protection with antivirus software. Recommended antivirus solutions for faculty, staff and students are below:
- Faculty & Staff: Cybersecurity recommends utilizing Trend Micro Maximum Security to protect Macs owned by faculty and staff. Learn more about Trend Micro on campus , and get instructions on obtaining a license and installation.
- Students & Emeritus: Cybersecurity recommends utilizing freely available antivirus solutions to protect Macs owned by students and Emeritus. Cybersecurity is aware of reputable, freely available antivirus software.
Faculty and staff: check with your department IT administrator before installing any of these products.