Last updated on December 5, 2023
Microsoft 365, formerly Office 365, is a suite of web-based tools hosted by Microsoft. In addition to email and calendaring features, Microsoft 365 provides multiple online applications such as OneDrive, the Office Suite and additional productivity tools. View the complete list of features.
- Integrated email and calendar
- User-friendly web interface
- Reserve your email@example.com email address
- Accessible via a web browser
- Secure authentication
- Downloadable desktop apps
- All UW–Madison students, faculty and staff are automatically provided with a firstname.lastname@example.org email account and can optionally set a email@example.com email address.
- Divisions, departments, and organizations can request custom email addresses in the @wisc.edu domain but must follow published guidelines and requests are subject to the approval of the Microsoft 365 leadership team.
- Students, faculty and staff can also create M365 Groups which allows them to easily set up access to shared resources such as an Outlook inbox, calendar or a document library for collaborating on files.
- Departments that need an account to support a business role (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org) or a specific job that isn't necessarily associated with a single person (e.g., email@example.com) should consider creating an M365 Group but can also request an M365 Service Account.
- Resource calendars can be used to schedule meeting rooms or equipment and are available by request.
- M365 and linked services can support a limited number of email domains. New domain requests will involve a technical consultation to better understand the underlying workflow requirements and review alternatives.