It is important that you directly communicate via phone or chat with the DoIT Help Desk or the Network Operations Center (NOC). If the Help Desk is closed, press 0 for “report to NOC” to ensure that your incident has been received.
Direct Communication Methods
- To call the Help Desk dial (608) 264-4357 and press option 3.
- To chat with the Help Desk: https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=6454
- To see current Help Desk hours: https://kb.wisc.edu/1
If you are calling to report electronic harassment and you feel your safety is at risk, please make sure you have reported the event to your local police department.
If you are reporting a stolen UW device
Please also contact UW Police at (608) 264-COPS or (608) 264-2677, as well as your local police department. If you contact a different local police department first, please let UWPD know that and provide them with that case number. When you report to police having a serial number and other unique identifiers can be crucial for investigations.
What to tell us when reporting an incident
When speaking with the Help Desk to report an incident, please be prepared to answer the following questions if applicable to your event:
- When did the event happen?
- What is your preferred contact information?
- Who is involved (other University staff/Police/other organizations)?
If the police are involved, please provide the case number if possible.
- What kinds and how much University held data is potentially at risk? Is there any risk to University Restricted Data?
(See data classifications if unsure )
- Does this impact the availability of a University service?
Other information to include
- Any readily available information about the device(s) involved (IPs, MAC addresses, device names, encryption levels, etc)
- Any actions that have been taken
- Any help requested