Effective Wednesday, December 28, 2022, the minimum client version (MCV) requirement for the Zoom computer and mobile application was updated from 5.11.x to 5.12.6. All UW–Madison Zoom accounts and individuals attending UW–Madison Zoom hosted meetings will be required to use the 5.12.6 version or later.
Individuals who only use a web browser (example: Firefox, Chrome, Safari) to access Zoom at uwmadison.zoom.us will not be affected. The minimum client version is being updated to ensure all UW–Madison Zoom accounts and their attendees are using the latest privacy/security enhancements and features.
How to prepare for this requirement
- Check your Zoom computer or mobile application version.
- Update the application to the latest version if the version is not current.
- If your computer or mobile device is managed by your IT department, you may not have the option to update. Contact your IT department for support.
- Enable automatic updates for your Zoom application to receive the latest version.
- Announcements will be made in the Zoom KnowledgeBase news section when the minimum version is modified.
New process to share Zoom minimum client version updates
You may have noticed Zoom minimum client version updates are consistent and ongoing. Because of this, we’ve opted to create a Google Group to share future MCV updates. Moving forward, we will no longer send messaging regarding MCV changes through broader listservs. We encourage you to join the group so you can be notified of changes. We will continue sharing updates in TechNews as well.
If you have any questions about this update, please contact the Help Desk.