Static WiscVPN service allows those with a UW NetID to use the same IP address each time they connect remotely to UW-Madison restricted network resources. This service should be especially useful for server or network administrators who need to secure a resource yet still access it remotely. This service is available only for departmental use. A valid DoIT number is required to obtain a static IP number.
- Allows users to secure a resource and access it remotely
- Users can connect remotely to a restricted network on campus while using the same IP addresss
- UW NetID
- DoIT purchasing number
Download the WiscVPN client. Use the same VPN client for dynamic or static connections. The dynamic profile is bundled with the client. The static profile must be added by the user of the static IP number.
Instructions for installing and using a static profile: (For more detailed instructions, see DoIT Help Desk.)
- Reserve a WiscVPN static ip address for free. You will need a DoIT number in order to reserve an address even though there is no charge for getting a static IP address.
- Add your new static address to your restricted server or network resource access lists.
- Log into WiscVPN using your NetID username/password.
- Make sure you are able to make a connection using the default/dynamic profile.
Get more details on downloading WiscVPN for your operating system.
- A dynamic profile will give a different IP address every time you use the profile.
- A static profile will give you the same IP address when you log in as long as you do no have an active connection somewhere else using a static profile. To use the static profile properly you need to get an IP address assigned to you (see Step 1).
Free but requires a DoIT number