Last updated on August 31, 2022
Globus is a web-based platform for research that supports secure data sharing, big data transfers, and data lifecycle automation. Globus connects disparate storage systems together through locally-installed endpoints that are accessible through the web and shareable through a federated identity management system that allows secure sharing with collaborators at other institutions.
- High performance data transfers between Globus endpoints on campus or external to UW-Madison.
- Secure file upload/downloads with shareable web links.
- Globus works with many campus services including: research computing such as Social Science Computing Cooperative (SSCC) and the Center for High Thoughput Computing (CHTC); research cores such as Cryo-EM Research Center and Biotechnology Center; and storage such as ResearchDrive, Shared Drive File Storage, S3 Object Storage, Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, and Microsoft Azure.
- Globus can be used to securely exchange data with external collaborators as part of a data transfer and use agreement.
- Globus has undergone a risk assessment by the Office of Cybersecurity Risk Management and Compliance and is included on The Office of Compliance approved tools for exchanging and storing PHI.
- Must be a UW-Madison faculty, staff, or student.
- Secure access and management of data at UW-Madison is subject to the Cybersecurity risk management policy UW-503. As stated in policy UW-503, it is the responsibility of the faculty and staff to understand the security risk associated with their data projects. Proper classification of data and consequently proper use of storage tools for their research work, teaching/learning and administration is the responsibility of the researcher/faculty/staff.
- Additional security controls are required to use restricted data like HIPAA or CUI with Globus. Restricted data may only be stored, with approval, in specific Globus Endpoints that have access managed by authorized data administrators. In addition, workstations used to access and store PHI must meet specific security guidelines. See the Office of Cybersecurity Risk Management and Compliance for more details.
- IT Staff