Canvas is a cloud-based, vendor-hosted learning management system (LMS). Based on positive results from pilot studies and campus feedback, Canvas was adopted as the single, centrally supported UW-Madison LMS in 2016.
Canvas is part of the Learn@UW suite of learning technologies. More information about Canvas, updates, events and how to work with the Learn@UW-Madison learning technology consultants are available on the DoIT Academic Technology website.
To log in to Canvas, access the Learn@UW Madison Course Dashboard. You can also click on a course link in the MyUW “Courses” app.
Trainings and other Canvas-related events offered by DoIT Academic Technology are listed in this calendar.
Canvas is available at no cost.
- Easy-to-use, learner-centered, content-focused design
- Core LMS functionality, such as grading, quizzing, calendaring, discussions and more
- SpeedGrader feature allows simple grading with timely feedback options
- Browser-based interface works on multiple devices
- iOS and Android apps for students and instructors
- Frequent feature and tool updates
- Graphic analytics reporting engine
- Robust notifications
- Integrated with Kaltura MediaSpace, Blackboard Collaborate and Collaborate Ultra, Piazza, Top Hat, Google Apps and many other external tools
- Holistic integration of learning outcomes, rubrics and grading
- Rich, multimedia feedback options (including text, audio and video commenting in messages, assignments, course discussions, graded work and grade submissions) — without downloading and re-uploading files
- Integration with the university’s Student Information System (SIS) to provide auto-creation of courses and rosters
- High-quality end-user documentation in the Canvas Community
- Is there a feature you’d like to see developed? This request form can be submitted and campus will review your request and then contact the vendor. Before submitting a request, please review the previously submitted requests to see if your request has already been made and what the accompanying status is.
The DoIT Help Desk provides instructors, staff and students with free tech support and troubleshooting help by phone at 608.264.4357, email at firstname.lastname@example.org and chat at helpdesk.wisc.edu. In-person support is also available at all DoIT Tech Store locations. Visit helpdesk.wisc.edu for hours and more information.
The Learn@UW-Madison team is also available to consult with instructors and instructional staff on selecting and using the right learning technology to improve student success. You can contact us via email at email@example.com. In addition, the Learn@UW KnowledgeBase offers helpful documents for instructors, course owners and students.