Last updated on March 16, 2023
Top Hat is an active learning platform that provides instructors with multiple ways to engage students, including online homework and in-class interactive activities and polls. Top Hat is a bring-your-own-device solution, which means that students can use any web-enabled device (laptop, tablets, smartphones) to participate.
Top Hat is part of the Learn@UW suite of learning technologies. More information about Top Hat, updates, events and how to work with the Learn@UW–Madison learning technology consultants are available on the DoIT Academic Technology website.
To get started using Top Hat, sign up and create an account at tophat.com. You can log in using your UW–Madison NetID. For instructions, please see the overview guide on the KB.
- Uses any web-enabled device (laptop, tablet, smartphone)
- Offers synchronous presentation that allows students to follow content as it is presented in class
- Automatic attendance
- Supports multiple question types, including click-on-target, word answer and multiple choice
- Offers SMS and offline mode capability
- Supports file hosting and upload capability for PowerPoint and other file types
- Offers real-time analytics
- Live assessments and auto-graded quizzes that sync with the Canvas Gradebook
- Full Top Hat gradebook
- Detailed student performance reports
Top Hat support is provided by the vendor. For direct support, please call (888) 663-5491 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Learn@UW–Madison team is also available to consult with instructors and instructional staff on selecting and using the right learning technology to improve student success. You request a consultation by contacting the DoIT Help Desk. In addition, the Learn@UW KnowledgeBase offers helpful documents for instructors, course owners and students.