Top Hat is a cloud-based student response system (SRS) that allows instructors to ask questions, take polls, give quizzes and receive feedback from your students during class. Top Hat is a bring-your-own-device solution, which means that students can use any web-enabled device (laptop, tablets, smartphones) to participate. Top Hat also allows for text messaging to submit answers, so students can use older cell phones as well.
Top Hat is part of the Learn@UW suite of learning technologies. More information about Top Hat, updates, events and how to work with the Learn@UW-Madison learning technology consultants are available on the DoIT Academic Technology website.
To get started using Top Hat, sign up and create an account at tophat.com. You can log in using your UW-Madison NetID. For instructions, please see the Learn@UW-Madison Top Hat “Getting Started” guide.
Top Hat is available free of charge to instructors. Students are required to purchase a subscription in order to use the product. Purchasing a subscription enables a student to use Top Hat with an unlimited number of active courses that occur during the subscription period.
UW-Madison students are eligible for the following reduced subscription prices:
- One semester (4 months) – $16 (This option cannot be upgraded to a year.)
- One year (12 months) – $20
- Lifetime (5 years) – $54
When purchasing a subscription, students will have the opportunity to select the duration. UW-Madison reduced pricing will be shown during the purchase process.
- Uses any web-enabled device (laptop, tablet, smartphone)
- Offers synchronous presentation that allows students to follow content as it is presented in class
- Supports multiple question types
- Provides assessment capabilities, such as homework and quizzes
- Offers SMS and offline mode capability
- Supports file hosting and upload capability for PowerPoint and other file types
- Offers real-time analytics
Top Hat support is provided by the vendor. For direct support, please call (888) 663-5491 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Learn@UW-Madison team is also available to consult with instructors and instructional staff on selecting and using the right learning technology to improve student success. You request a consultation by contacting the DoIT Help Desk. In addition, the Learn@UW KnowledgeBase offers helpful documents for instructors, course owners and students.