Last updated on October 26, 2023
Top Hat is an active learning platform that provides instructors with multiple ways to engage students, including online homework and in-class interactive activities and polls. Top Hat allows students to use any web-enabled device (i.e., laptop, tablets, smartphones) to participate.
- Uses any web-enabled device (i.e., laptop, tablet, smartphone)
- Offers synchronous presentation that allows students to follow content as it is presented in class
- Automatically takes attendance of participating learners
- Supports multiple question types, including click-on-target, word answer and multiple choice
- Offers SMS and offline mode capability
- Supports file hosting and upload capability for PowerPoint and other file types
- Offers real-time analytics
- Supports live assessments and auto-graded quizzes that sync with the Canvas Gradebook
- Includes a full Top Hat gradebook
- Provides detailed student performance reports
Top Hat support is provided by the vendor. For direct support, please call (888) 663-5491 or visit Top Hat support webpage.
The Learn@UW–Madison team is also available to consult with instructors and instructional staff on selecting and using the appropriate learning technology to improve student success. You can request a consultation by contacting the DoIT Help Desk. Additionally, the Learn@UW KnowledgeBase offers helpful documents for instructors, course owners and students.