DoIT Academic Technology’s Learn@UW-Madison service oversees the Learn@UW suite of supported learning technologies that include the following:
- Canvas: This learning management system (LMS) is campus’ single, centrally supported LMS. The other tools listed all integrate with Canvas to provide a streamlined user experience for instructors and students. A growing number of tools are integrated to work with Canvas and are listed in this KnowlegeBase document.
- Kaltura MediaSpace: The video management service platform allows users to upload, organize, stream, embed and share audio and video materials. Kaltura CaptureSpace Lite offers recording capabilities for media that can be uploaded to Kaltura MediaSpace.
- AEFIS (Assessment, Evaluation, Feedback & Intervention System): This web-based assessment management solution is used to provide campus-wide digital course evaluation survey tools, course syllabi and more.
- Top Hat: The mobile device-based student response system (SRS) can help instructors engage students in the classroom with polls, quizzes, bias assessments and more.
- Engage: The eText reader provides integrated access to publisher eTexts via Canvas, as well as access to other publisher-provided tools and resources – typically at a fraction of the print cost.
- Pressbooks: Faculty, staff and students can create and host eTexts, which can be viewed through a web browser, downloaded as a print-ready PDF, or exported as another digital-ready format (such as EPUB).
- Piazza: Focused on student-to-student interaction, Piazza is a modern discussion platform. Students post their questions, other students respond and instructors endorse answers to keep the class on track.
- Atomic Assessments: The advanced quizzing tool allows instructors to develop and deliver a wide variety of questions and efficiently keep track of student performance.
- Turnitin: An assignment evaluation tool integrated with Canvas that promotes originality in student work by comparing student submissions with similar content and helping students check for proper citation.
- Honorlock: Integrated with Canvas, the automated proctoring solution helps instructors foster academic integrity when providing remote assessments to students.
- Learner Engagement Analytics Dashboard: The course-level learning analytics dashboard displays Canvas, Kaltura MediaSpace and Unizin Engage e-text data in Canvas.
- Learn@UW learning technologies are centrally supported by the Learn@UW-Madison team
- Learn@UW-Madison team is available to help instructors choose the best tool to fit their needs
- All tools are integrated with the Canvas learning management system
To learn more about the available learning technologies on campus, refer to this guide.
The Learn@UW tools are available at no cost, with the exception of Top Hat Pro, which requires a cost to individual students using the product; instructors may use Top Hat at no charge. In addition, the Engage eText reader is available at no cost, but students are required to pay for the content instructors provide through the reader – typically at a fraction of the print cost.
The Learn@UW-Madison team is available to consult with instructors and instructional staff on selecting and using the right learning technology to improve student success. To request a consultation please contact the DoIT Help Desk and ask to meet with DoIT AT consultant. In addition, the Learn@UW KnowledgeBase offers helpful documents for instructors, course owners and students.
For Canvas, Kaltura MediaSpace, AEFIS, Engage, Pressbooks, Atomic Assessments, Turnitin and LEAD, the DoIT Help Desk provides users with free tech support and troubleshooting help. The Help Desk is available by phone at (608) 264-4357, email at firstname.lastname@example.org and chat at helpdesk.wisc.edu. In-person support is also available at the service desk in the Computer Sciences building. Visit helpdesk.wisc.edu for hours and more information.
For Top Hat, contact the vendor for support at (888) 663-5491 or email@example.com. For Piazza, contact the vendor at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at (800) 818-4124 or visit support.piazza.com. For Honorlock, contact the vendor support through Honorlock’s chat feature directly in Canvas, their support phone number at (844) 243-2500, or their email email@example.com.