Engage provides integrated access to publisher eTexts via Canvas, as well as access to other publisher-provided tools and resources – typically at a fraction of the print cost. Instructors and course coordinators can order eTexts and publisher Digital Learning Tools (DLTs) through the Order Tool.
The first step for instructors (or course coordinators who request access through the DoIT Help Desk) is to purchase eTexts and other content through the Order Tool. This direct link to the Order Tool will only work for instructors and course coordinators set up during the ordering process. If an instructor purchases an eText or DLT directly from the publisher, the content will not be available through Engage.
The second step is for instructors to set up their Canvas course, either by adding the Engage eText tool or adding the DLT, depending on which they’ve purchased. Both documents provide other tips for preparing or using the respective tool.
The Engage eText reader and publisher DLT can be accessed by logging into Canvas.
The Engage eText reader is available at no cost. However, students do pay for the content – typically at a fraction of the print cost. Payment and financial aid adjustment are automatically conducted through student’s tuition billing process with the Bursar’s Office.
Students may opt out of purchasing their course’s eText (and DLT, if applicable); however, this is not recommended. Before opting out, students should review the conditions, considerations, and potential consequences outlined in this KnowledgeBase document. If, after careful consideration and a conversation with their instructors, students still choose to opt out, they will need to complete and submit a formal opt-out request form. Refunds for course drops will follow standard tuition refund rules.
- Significantly lower prices for eTexts (typically 40% to 80% off list print prices) and for DLTs (generally around 25% off list print prices)
- Provides instructors with usage data that may inform areas to emphasize in exam reviews and other activities
- Allows instructors to add external content, like Open Educational Resources (OER) in PDF format
- Streamlined ordering process for content from multiple publishers through the Order Tool
- Students retain access to eTexts for as long as they are a student at UW-Madison, no matter what individual publishers usually allow
- Students can print eTexts up to 50 pages at a time, for free – minus cost of paper (instructional available here)
- Automatic ordering, payment and financial aid adjustment through student’s tuition billing process with the Bursar’s Office
The DoIT Help Desk provides instructors, staff, and students with free tech support and troubleshooting help by phone at 608.264.4357, email at firstname.lastname@example.org and chat at helpdesk.wisc.edu. In-person support is also available at the DoIT Help Desk service desk in the Computer Sciences building. Visit helpdesk.wisc.edu for hours and more information.
The DoIT Help Desk can provide support with questions and concerns regarding eTexts, billing, the Order Tool, accessibility, opt-outs, and general technical support. They cannot, however, provide support with publisher Digital Learning Tools (DLTs). Support for DLTs will need to be directed to the publisher. For more information, review this document.
Instructors and instructional staff can also request a consultation through the DoIT Help Desk. A DoIT AT consultant will help you select and use the right eText/DLT for your course or figure out the best way to utilize them to improve student success. In addition, the Learn@UW-Madison KnowledgeBase and Unizin Engage Resources page offer helpful documentation for instructors and students.